Aquaponics is a sustainable method of raising both fish and vegetables. It is popular with individuals, entrepreneurs, educators, missions and governments. Furthermore, with this type of indoor farming, you grow substantially more food with less water, land and labour than traditional agriculture.
Aquaponics is a resilient farming system that provides wellness and better nutrition.
Aquaponics is a form of agriculture that combines raising fish in tanks (recirculating aquaculture) with soilless plant culture (hydroponics). In aquaponics, the nutrient-rich water from raising fish provides a natural fertilizer for the plants and the plants help to purify the water for the fish. Aquaponics can be used to sustainably raise fresh fish and vegetables for a family, to feed a village or to generate profit in a commercial farming venture, year ‘round, in any climate.
Aquaponics is a great example of year ’round, indoor farming. It can be done anywhere, providing fresh local food that is free of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers. It is safe, easy and fresh!
Benefits of Aquaponics
- Use 1/6th of the water to grow 8 times more food per acre compared to traditional agriculture!
- All-natural fertilizer source from fish waste.
- No reliance on mined and manufactured fertilizers.
- Efficient, sustainable, and highly productive.
- Produce is free of pesticides and herbicides.
- Fish are free of growth hormones and antibiotics.
- Allows continuous production of food.
- Produces both a protein and vegetable crop.
- Integrated system is sustainable and earth friendly.
- Eliminating soil eliminates soil borne diseases.
- When combined with Controlled Environment Agriculture, you can grow year ‘round in any climate
What Can You Grow?
The fish and plants that you select for your aquaponic system should have similar needs as far as temperature and pH. As a general rule, warm, freshwater fish and leafy crops, such as lettuce, greens and herbs will do the best.
Most commercial growers raise leafy crops, but you can grow all All kinds of vegetables like lettuce, kale, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, green onions, leeks, beans, peas, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, sunflowers, edible flowers and aloe.
Also, bananas, limes, oranges, lemons and pomegranates year ‘round in aquaponics.
Our Aquaponic Project
FarmBuddy Aquaponic Community Project is on 50 acres of land Located at Isiwo, Ogun state.